Re: [ARSCLIST] ^ InSearchOf: Batch Editor to REVERSE WAV files

At 09:34 PM 2006-12-17, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

Okeh...

I think they were already swallowed up before these tapes happened, but anyway, nothing to do with the ancient record label--the tapes were made in 1980 <smile>.

I THINK I see this...except for one detail! Are you playing
the tapes as though they were two-track stereo (each half of the tape
is a different channel, with one being reversed...)?

Yes, precisely. I have two tracks on the tape and a two track head and good to excellent separation.

If so, do you
digitize the "backwards" signal and then digitally reverse it?

Precisely.

So you are looking for a sound-file application that can reverse
a "backwards" (or, for that matter, any) sound file?

Indeed, and I had applications that could reverse them, but I wanted to do 28 in one operation while I slept, or at least did other things. And, as I noted later, I found GoldWave from Newfoundland which did a fine job of this.

This leads to a couple of related thoughts...

1) Perhaps such an application could be packaged as "Is Paul REALLY
Dead.exe"...?! There might be a demand among Beatles aficianados...

Indeed, but either here or on the Ampex List Tom Fine noted that he had done this and there was nothing interesting in Revolution No. 9.

2) At the same time, I can't help but wonder what the results would
be if other digital files could be reversed and run (other than about
about a gazillion "Illegal Operation" crashes...)

Well, any media file could be reversed and run. In that way, one of the imploded buildings could rapidly reassemble itself. The applications are endless.

Cheers,

Richard