[ARSCLIST] Digitizing libraries--was: Clarifying the MAM-A gold comment

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I make a choice: 2-3 CDs and/or DVDs plus access copies OR a place in
> the file system and 1-2 CDs for access. More things are staying in
> the file system these days. It's at 1250 GB triple redundant and one
> 250G volume is personal and demo media -- and it's about full.
> DigiPix are a separate (not full) 250G volume. Client hold stuff is a
> third, work in process is a 4th, and all the other stuff is a fifth.
> I do not hold most client files more than 3 months after delivery.

If this implies what I suspect it may...it gets me thinking about
a further possibility! Since sound files for the most part start out
in digital form...and image files (as well as possibly text files,
such as books...!) can be converted to digital files by scanning...
how long will it be before libraries are converted to institutions
with huge multi-disc servers, and clients can access the contents
either using monitors at the "library" or by downloading (onto a
digital medium...possibly DVD-R...?) the desired item, in digital
form, for later use. There would be a lot of monetary details to
be worked out (or special short-lifespan media would have to
be used...?)...but think of how much space would be saved, as
well as an end to worrying about the lifespan of the artifacts
themselves!

Will future libraries be measured in terabytes (or whatever
follows those...?!)...