Re: [ARSCLIST] Britain: Gowers Report on Intellectual Property

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> "Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    >Further, if that were
the problem, it would be simple to enact
> >legislation that required any reissue of a sound recording to
> >include royaties to the artist at, say, the standard AFM rate.
>
>   Perhaps, but when I consider what I would like to reissue, I could not
afford to pay the standard AFM say for an orchestra recording and not go out of
business...especially considering the sort of repertoire that interests me.

To correct what I meant here...

The orchestra, as AFM members (which they presumably are) are therefore
supposed to be paid a contract-defined royalty of X cents per copy of
any recording on which they perform (for most of the 78 era, the recordings
were considered "works for hire" and the musicians were paid lump sums
for recording sessions!).

So...I'm NOT suggesting you pay the Gravity Falls Philharmonic full
union scale for the recording session; I'm merely suggesting that
you pay them the same per-copy royalty on the number of recordings
you sell (which is unlikely to cause bankruptcy...?) as their contract
required (or, should you wish to support the group...not a bad idea
in this day and age...you could pay them whatever per-copy royalty
is specified in current AFM contract practice...?).

This way, no one can claim the artists are being deprived of money
they rightfully should have received...in fact, they are GETTING
money they would NOT have otherwise received!