Re: [ARSCLIST] Mitsui / MAM-A Gold CD's

At 11:34 AM 2006-12-08, Elliott Hancock wrote:
I am curious what the experts on this list have to say about the
information in the following link which rates discs.  It places MAM-A
and archival discs in the "sham" category.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Well, this is certainly interesting. It's presented as hard facts, but without much documentation.

My experience: I started using T-Y gold discs in 1998 when I got a 333 MHz Dell computer. I had good results, but the long-term dye stability and 1-2% reports of incompatibility with some audio players caused me to switch within the year to Mitsui gold CD-Rs. My 1-2% reports of non-playability went away.

I have used a variety of DVDs, but only when the MAM-A gold ones became available, did I consider using them for archival storage for client projects. So far, I've had no complaints in the year that I've been using them other than two clients who asked for them and then didn't know what to do with them.

(I want high resolution digital files--OK, I can provide them on a DVD--fine--shipment--I can't play the disc you sent me--much later--I finally got it to play but my editor won't accept the files--mail him CDs at a loss). So that's certainly not a disc problem.

I've had NO media returns since 1999. Kodak chose MAM-E to make their media.

MAM-X is a licensee of Mitsui who owns the phthalocyanine dye patents. See Joe Iraci's article at:
http://www.uni-muenster.de/Forum-Bestandserhaltung/downloads/iraci.pdf
His accelerated aging tests showed phthalocyanine dye CD-R as longer-lived than manufactured CDs.

And it stands to reason that gold is more stable than silver or aluminum as a reflective layer.

The other side of this is if I do have a problem with the discs, no one can point and say that I tried to cheap out. I chose what many people thought were the best available discs and I periodically check them (probably not as often as I should).

I have NOT seen Charles Lawson's damaged disc rate but I did have one spindle of gold CD-Rs that a few didn't burn for what appeared to be disc reasons, but changing the burn rate solved that. I now burn at 16x and that seems to be reliable. I burn at 4x for DVD-R although I would consider the 8x discs.

Obviously, I wouldn't use a product for perception alone if I were having trouble with it, but what has been good for me over time coupled with the premium perception of the product in many areas is a good choice for the work that I do.

My choice was to buy the gold CD-Rs in jewel cases from American Digital, but now I buy them in spindles as no one that I can find is importing MAM-A jewel-cased CDs from the U.S. to Canada. I try to be very careful and close the cake boxes quickly to keep dust out.

While the ratings page cited in the quoted message seems to like Maxell discs, I have heard of problems with them from multiple sources, although I am a great fan of their tape products.

Finally, I started out with a Yamaha CD burner and it worked well, but when it failed after probably fewer than a thousand discs, I purchased a Plextor drive and haven't looked back. I have three working Plextor CD writers and four working Plextor DVD/CD writers here. I use the DVD writers in my production machines in the studio as I'm delivering as many DVDs these days as CDs it seems with many institutional clients then copying those files into their digital repositories.

For very large projects, I prefer hard drives as a delivery mechanism.

Cheers,

Richard