Re: [ARSCLIST] Filling mines with data & Samp9 (was Re: [ARSCLIST] The ways C...

In a message dated 12/8/2006 12:00:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

But this digresses from sound and audio and especially the
subject...so I changed it.
****************

The relevance to sound and audio is that the current recommendation
frequently appearing here is that audio archivists piggyback on this vast data storage
industry instead of trying to preserve hard media.

The consequences of the mysterious disappearance of a critical fifteen
minutes of some politician's or official's life record can be severe enough so that
legislation will make the comprehensive and secure storage of digital data
mandatory.

Archival sound and even video data files will be a small enough part of this
that they can ride along without requiring significantly increases in the
systems and therefore at a low cost relative to the cost of development of
independent sound archiving systems.

My concern is in the security issues involved in the centralizing of these
archives for economies of scale. Imagine a high yield nuclear device smuggled
into Iron Mountain in a delivery truck.

If I were young enough to care and had a recording I really wanted to
preserve for the rest of my life, I would still record it on tape, or even have a
lacquer cut, and keep it under my bed!

Mike Csontos