Re: [ARSCLIST] The ways CD's and DVD's can fail.

Larry Miller, former Ampex electrical engineer/designer and one who has sat on several networking protocol standards committees, has written extensively on the Ampex list about error correction and the robustness of error correction protocols. I believe it is unrealistic to expect too low an error rate in burned dye media, but the error-correction has proven very robust over time. Not to say a trashed disc is not a trashed disc, but to say we should not make too much of tiny errors that are easily corrected and accepted in the protocols just because we can detect them.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The ways CD's and DVD's can fail.

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi:

I did switch to water-based pens a couple of years ago, once I started doing more work for paying clients. Any clients of mine on this list, rest assured no Sharpies were used on your disc media I've done for you. However, I do believe this is a phantom menace, at least in my experience. But since water-based pens work just fine, why be the lab rat to test a would-be myth?

-- Tom Fine

It's not a myth. I've seen the effects, but only on very thinly coated media. Whether a heavier acrylic would be penetrated given more time, heat or humidity is speculation.

Incidentally, Jerry has reported that any writing on the disc's surface (presumably, without heavy overcoating) is detectable in his error testing. What seems not to be proved is that that deterioration is significant in practice. I am not skillful enough to write legibly only on the central annulus where there is no burning.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/