Re: [ARSCLIST] The ways CD's and DVD's can fail.

Tom Fine wrote:
I must be lucky because I just haven't had more than less than a handful of discs fail over time, so far. And we're talking generic green-dye cheapos written on with a Sharpie. I just last week had to recover some WAV files from one of those. I had a very careful listen to them in the workstation because I was curious, especially about the effect of the Sharpie ink 5 years later. They were fine, except I didn't have as good a DAW or analog playback gear back then! Hopefully, I can report back in 15 more years. I store my data CDR's and DVDR's in paper envelopes in shoebox-type cardboard boxes, so they don't get direct sunlight or dust.

-- Tom Fine

The Sharpie solvent is not the worst around, but even Sanford recommends their pens with water-based ink for writing on CD and DVD. A second factor is the nature of the disc's overcoating; some cheapies use a thin acrylic lacquer which is quite permeable. Media which are printed or otherwise have a heavier overcoating *may* be more resistant, even impervious. On the other hand, it is wise to use water-based inks as in pens made for the purpose or those available at an art-supply store. My favorite is Faber-Castell PITT Artist Pen with the Brush tip.

On media made for ink-jet printing, I too have been using Sharpies for many years without problems.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/