To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 12:57 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] FDR Recordings (was Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recorded Sound Preservation Study)

George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

I don't know enough about US history, but it seems that there must be a printed collection of Franklin Roosevelt's broadcast speeches, from which the yellow parts have been recorded. First I thought it was a private off-air recording, but the selection is too precise, unless it is from an announced repeat broadcast. So, if it is indeed Roosevelt's voice, it must be a dubbing from someone else's aircheck. However, it may be a completely different person, reciting at a later date than 29 December 1940 those parts of Roosevelt's speech. All in all it seems to be on the fringe of oral history. The provenance means everything under those circumstances.

I have a six-LP set of "F.D.R. Speaks" with introduction by Eleanor Roosevelt and annotation by Henry Steele Commager. His speeches while in office were routinely recorded; these are selected from first inaugural to one read by his son which he did not live to deliver.

My guess is that many or all were recorded by the Signal Corps which surely had both the technology and the charter to do so. Whether the glass disc in question came from such a source is another question.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/