Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recorded Sound Preservation Study

Probably not. When CBS re-issued a Cliff Edwards track, originally released
on Pathe, on their "The Original Sound of the 20s" LP set in the 1960s, it
clearly came from a shellac disc. In the 70s, New World Records licensed
some James Reese Europe "Hell Fighters" Band tracks through CBS for its
Shuffle Along LP, probably just to be on the safe side. But these were
likewise taken from shellac. The two CD collections of Hell Fighters tracks,
issued on IAJRC and Memphis Archives respectively, pay no lip service to
Sony. The only Cameos I've seen reissued were on TOM LPs.
The vault on Cameo/Pathe probably ceased to exist when the companies were
folded into ARC. As Pathe masters were mostly made to giant cylinders and
then dubbed off to discs, such arcane technology would have been useless in
the electrical era. If CBS retained even a single master recording from this
family of companies, they have never used one. Even the Domino of "Shanghai
Shuffle," made by Plaza in 1924, on Fletcher Henderson: A Study in
Frustration, came from a shellac pressing.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

"Music expresses what one cannot say, but about which one cannot remain
silent." - Victor Hugo