Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recorded Sound Preservation Study

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Mike Csontos wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220052969829
>
> Any information on the "The Music Shop" operation or the reason this type of
> record would have been made?

----- I have looked at the e-Bay thing - something that I rarely do, because
the information is virtually non-existant and many label photographs have
terrible reflections from the photoflash - and it looks as if The Music Shop
either had a service where they dubbed or made airchecks (or perhaps recorded
greetings or weddings for you), or they sold lacquer records for home
recordists. I don't know enough about US history, but it seems that there
must be a printed collection of Franklin Roosevelt's broadcast speeches, from
which the yellow parts have been recorded. First I thought it was a private
off-air recording, but the selection is too precise, unless it is from an
announced repeat broadcast. So, if it is indeed Roosevelt's voice, it must be
a dubbing from someone else's aircheck. However, it may be a completely
different person, reciting at a later date than 29 December 1940 those parts
of Roosevelt's speech. All in all it seems to be on the fringe of oral
history. The provenance means everything under those circumstances.

I know "mush" enough about it to realize that the minimum bid will only make
the insurer happy. I am reminded of the recent offer of a "Robert Johnson"-
owned guitar with the same wear pattern as that of a guitar held by him in a
photograph. That was taken as proof of ownership.

With the risk of the lacquer peeling from the glass base, this is an item
that needs more than average care.

Kind regards,

George