Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [78-l] LightScribe

Jim,

I, too, thought the idea of permanent, inexpensive titling at home was wonderful, and I also experienced a lot of frustration getting Roxio to print to my LS media. After a time, I began using this procedure with great success.

  1. Design the label in Roxio
  2. Save it if you want to
  3. Place the LS CD in the drive
  4. Use File:Print to bring up the print screen
  5. Select "preview."  At this point if the system doesn't think
     there's an LS device it will complain.  Exit Roxio and go back to
     Step 1.
  6. If the preview looks OK, select Print.  If the software complains
     that the media is not LS, try ejecting, rotating the blank about
     30 degrees, and repeating.  If this fails, exit Roxio and go back
     to Step 1.
  7. If printing begins, it has always completed successfully for me.

Do NOT attempt to run any other DVD/CD devices during the printing phase.
I also do NOT use the HP to write data, preferring another package that lets me control the write speed. I believe that in earlier efforts I did have some problems trying to write data then the label, and vice versa.

The important step above, I found, was completely shutting down Roxio and restarting it if printing failed. I have used both of the media manufacturers you mention.

Jim Baldwin wrote:
I posted this yesterday over on 78-L.

I wonder if any here have tried the recent software. I bought
a CDR/DVD burner by Mad Dog which came bundled with
Roxio 8.2 and LightScribe.

The special media to accomodate LS was made by Verbatim.
Memorex also makes the media at this point.

I like the idea of actually burning the specially prepared discs
with a title.

The problem is that I had no success with the Verbatim media.

I tried several discs and only obtained a partial printing of the title
on two discs. I am wondering if Memorex is more reliable or is
the hardware defective.

I'm now waiting comments from LightScribe Support. The general
Q&A was not helpful.

Thanks.

Jim

-- Pete Tinker,Ph.D.

 HRL Laboratories, LLC
 Information and System Sciences Laboratory
 Advanced Technology Department
 310 317 5503 voice
 310 317 5695 fax
 3011 Malibu Canyon Road
 Malibu, CA  90265 USA

----Proprietary Disclaimer:
This message contains attachments intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which this e-mail is
addressed and may contain information that is confidential
and proprietary. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please reply to us immediately by e-mail or telephone
(310-317-5000) and delete this e-mail message and its attachments.
Thank you.

HRL Laboratories, LLC, 3011 Malibu Canyon Rd. Malibu, CA 90265-4797