Re: [ARSCLIST] CBS radio program "String Serenade" (1953)

Thanks for your help, but I'm still searching.

I should have been more clear. This is a program of
string music with Alfredo Antonini and his "Singing
Strings". (Or is Warren Sweeney the announcer just
being alliterative?) I just re-listened to the file,
rather than relying on notes taken months ago.

Here are the contents from audition:

In thee is joy / Johann Sebastian Bach ; arr. for
strings -- Sweet was the song the virgin sang ; Born
was the babe / Peter Warlock, arr. -- Unidentified
saltarello / Alfredo Antonini, arr. -- Christmas ode :
As on the night, op. 100/1b / Alan Hovhaness --
Concerto in G minor / Domenico Scarlatti -- The holy
boy / John Ireland, arr.

This tape is from the Voice of America Music Library
Collection. Because of the content (references to
broadcasts by Lionel Barrymore (Christmas Carol) on
the Sunday Evening Playhouse, and this being a special
"holiday String Serenade." I don't believe the
contents could be from either May or August 1953. In
fact, the Hovhaness work was commissioned for CBS, and
is an individual movement of his Triptych. The next
night's broadcast would feature Ronald Coleman in
Victor Hugo's Les Miserables on the Lux Radio Theatre.
That should mean I should be able to date it, but so
far nothing found through the newspaper databases I
have available. (And no luck with the Hovhaness
catalog and discography either).

More and more interesting...
Thom

Thomas H. Pease
Librarian/Cataloger, Recorded Sound Section, Library of Congress
Freelance writer and lecturer on music and library-related topics
Owner/Co-Moderator, Orchestra Library Information Group
Arlington, VA
Blog: http://audioartifacts.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$310k for $999/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre