Re: [ARSCLIST] The Incompetence of Sonny Bono

Disney was born in1900 so you figure by 1908 he had read the book. The book was published around 1870, about 40 years differnce. And although the Beatles are now part of the popular mythology, they are not in the public domain.

That is my point. They were out of copyright, after far less than the limited time of 177 years.

Of course there were many products featuring "Alice in Wonderland" There were games, puzzles, dolls, etc. That is where Disney got the whole idea from.

From: Don Cox <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The Incompetence of Sonny Bono
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:45:15 +0000

On 28/10/06, Mike Loughlin wrote:
> Hello Mike, Actually Disney made a cartoon in Kansas City that was
> based on the Alice in Alice in wonderland. He brought this as his
> resume around Hollywood trying to get work. A certain Mrs. Winkler was
> the producer of Pat Sullivan's "Felix the Cat" probably the most
> popular cartoon at the time. Sullivan refused to work for Winkler
> anymore and so he hired Disney, Who took the Alice from his Alice in
> Wonderland cartoon (She not only shared the name, but the look of the
> Alice character also) and combined her with a cat character "Julius"
> the cat who was a direct steal from the Felix the Cat character. Also
> the idea of a young "live" girl named Alice in the wonderland of
> cartoon animation came to Disney from Dodgson's book. In other words
> Disney was a not only a scab but an idea thief as well.

The Alice-in-Wonderland character had really become a part of popular
mythology by then. I am sure you would find many other examples of its
use, as well as editions of the books from dozens of publishers.

> Oh yeah, a few years later on he did make a few million from a feature
> length cartoon entitled "Alice in Wonderland, which I do believe was
> based on Dodgson's book, and which Dodgson's estate never got a penny
> out of.

Nor should they have done. The work was long since out of copyright.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx