Re: [ARSCLIST] Harmony acoustics, 1925

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Z Snyder" <azs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Steven C. Barr mentioned a few days ago that he found evidence of bass
> content on a few Harmony acoustics in his possession. That spurred me on to
> look at a couple of the Trumbauer/Beiderbecke and Miff Mole Harmony
> recording which I own as CD transfers. In all cases, it readily apparent by
> looking at the spectral content vs time that the restorers did no harm to
> the bass end, i.e. the response (virtually all surface rumble) appears to be
> strong all the way to below audibility. What was also readily apparent is
> the fact that there's very little useful content below 200 Hz on these
> recordings. It's a pity, since in a few isolated spots I have been able
> improve the bass response, but this is only for a second or so. I assume
> that Harmony was not only cheap on the market, but also cheap in their
> acoustic studio equipment.
>
> What got me started in restoring bass on acousticals was my serendipitous
> discovery of lots of bass content on the 10 acoustical recordings by the
> Coon-Sanders Nighthawks. I soon discovered that one can never predict what
> one will find hidden in acoustical grooves. It can vary from nothing much to
> quite a bit.

I should note that my observation wasn't based on spectrum analysis
or other sophisticated means...I simply put a 10-band home equalizer
in the hardware chain and turned up the bottom octaves to maximum.
Therefore, I can't say "I heard bass down to x-many Hertz..." I can
only say that I could hear the string bass, though nowhere near as
strongly as on an electric record...