[ARSCLIST] mostly for laughs too-- audio in asphalt?

Hi folks,

We took a driving vacation from Oakland, CA to Denver last summer. I noticed again that highways nowadays feature a continuous procession of indentations, perpendicular to the roadbed, running just outboard of the slow lane. They look to be about an inch and a half deep and wide, by maybe eight inches long. They're regularly spaced at perhaps four inches apart.

When driven over, they produce a noticeable vibration throughout the car. No doubt the idea is to wake up drowsy drivers before they can drift too far off the road.

This generic buzz strikes me as terribly short-sighted. It shouldn't be that difficult to vary these indentations so as to encode specific sounds into the pavement. The vehicle's tire act as a stylus, while the body of the car resonates all around.

To really shake up the somnambulant sojourner, I'd think a chorus of "Ta-Ra-Ra-Boom-De-Yay" would work well. Or we could recruit a severe, maternal voice-over actress to read, "Wake up, pull over, and take a nap!!"

Other thoughts?

Yours for safety,
Rod