Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo mass market tapes

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Brock-Nannestad" <pattac@xxxxxxxx>
> Steven C. Barr(x) (rhymes with barracs?!)
No..."(x)" indicates it's being sent from a different computer...which
was giving me no end of trouble with e-mail...

> was one who commented on
> Beatles. George Martin had quite firm views on that aspect of their
> distribution
>
> He tells us very precisely why it was so damn ridiculous when a number of
> Beatles tracks were sold in stereo: the original four-track tapes (yes, those
> were the conditions in the early 1960s) that he had used to make a mono mix
> for the original mono distribution were simply combined two and two into a
> set of stereo tracks and issued!

Okeh...a question that I had wondered about for more than forty years
has finally been answered! I could never figure out why I could
eliminate different Beatles by turning the "Balance" knob to
either extreme.

IIRC (and I forget where I read it) Martin also rigged up a way to
record eight tracks by using two four-track recorders...