Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo mass market tapes

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Steven C. Barr(x) (rhymes with barracs?!)            was one who commented on
Beatles. George Martin had quite firm views on that aspect of their
distribution

He tells us very precisely why it was so damn ridiculous when a number of
Beatles tracks were sold in stereo: the original four-track tapes (yes, those
were the conditions in the early 1960s) that he had used to make a mono mix
for the original mono distribution were simply combined two and two into a
set of stereo tracks and issued!

You may read all about it and much more in:

Tobler, John & Stuart Grundy ed.

The Record Producers - Exclusive interviews with 13 of the greatest hit-
makers, including Tom Dowd, Leiber & Stoller, Phil Spector, George Martin &
more - complete with discographies + photos
BBC Books, London, 1982. 248 pages. B&W photos

Interviews with the producers, people like the Tom Dowd, who started in 1948
as an engineer, and went on to work with Eric Clapton and Rod Stewart; Leiber
and Stoller; Phil Spector; George Martin;Todd Rundgren; Chris Thomas; Glyn
Johns.

This is not a rare book, but seldom cited in the US. It is a book that I have
learnt a lot from, not having had the least interest in the subject when I
had that age. But my ears confirm what I read.

Kind regards,

George