Re: [ARSCLIST] Dynamic-frequency Range

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, David Seubert wrote:

> Trying to make recordings sound like "real life" is a trap that has
> resulted in thousands of deadly boring records. TV doesn't look like
> what my eyes see, but that's not the point of it. It's lots of little
> dots on a piece of glass that approximate an image, but as long as it is
> funny or interesting, I still enjoy it. Realism isn't the point of
> making records either, despite Edison and his silly "tone tests" or
> Philips and their "blind" (maybe deaf is the better word) comparisons
> between CDs and a live string quartet.

I would agree completely but then my lecture will be for a group of
musicologists...where notions of authenticity are often (but not always)
their bread and butter, hence my hope for some discussion of the notions
of authenticity in recording.

I believe the only proper way to experience a reproducing piano roll is to
hear it live, as recording a realization of it only adds another layer to
the process. Is a roll authentic...well it is played on a different piano
in a room with a different acoustic. Even as a lousy pianist, I adjusted
my playing for each piano and each acoustic.

Karl