Re: [ARSCLIST] Mostly for laughs

----- Original Message -----
From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Cryogenic treatment is the idea.  Some clowns have asserted that you can
> stick them on a block of dry ice or in your freezer.  I know that
> cryogenics, when done right, will change the crystal structure of
> metal.  It's main application is with cutting surfaces, engines,
> transmissions (think NASCAR and NHRA), very critical high stress
> applications (where you'd magnaflux as well), etc....  I don't know if
> I've ever heard a difference, though I've heard excellent systems that
> had cryogenically treated cables, plugs and outlets.  It could be that
> it sounded good because the system was incredibly expensive and the room
> had been treated for diffuse sound.  If I could hear a difference, it
> should be apparent with low output moving coil cartridges where you are
> dealing with microvolts.  Freezing cables will do nothing.  I can see
> where it would help the moving parts in a stereo.  Cryogenic treatment
> relieves stresses and increases wear resistance.

Okeh...this should start a few rumours...

We know that any bend in a conductor will have a certain value of
inductance (which can be calculated)...and that the reactance of
this inductance is frequency-dependent, so a sound-carrying cable
with any bends or curves in it may affect the frequencies as measured
at the output end (vs. the input).

Thus, sound systems should be set up so that a straight-line path
exists between any two terminals that have to be connected to one
another...and we should use solid and straight pieces of a highly
conductive metal, rather than wire, to connect our audio devices.

Guaranteed 1) somebody will try it, and 2) he/she/it will report
back it made an audible difference...

One never knows, do one?!