Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape baking question

Hi, Tom and Dave,

I don't have even a hypothesis on this. Let's call it a conjecture based on very incomplete facts.

(1) Acetate tapes generally used acetate as the binder.

(2) 3M 201 was a departure from that, I THINK. It used the same binder/oxide (it appears) as 202 and 203, but was acetate base film. It pins often.

(3) 175 definitely squeals - ask Doug Pomeroy. In fact, it does it enough that Art Shifrin advertises a specially modded Ampex 440 to play it on. I've had success modding a Studer A810 to play the one sample of Doug's 175 at room temp (this mod does not work with Sony PR-150).

(4) We know from Brown (cited in my AES paper) that humidity appears to be the bad actor with scission of the short chains in polyurethane,

So my conjecture is that any polyurethane can break down to the point of squealing.

My AES paper shows that the over-arching problem is soft binder syndrome and that SSS is a subset of this. The binder becomes soft and rubbery (with or without major shedding) above the Tg (see previous message) This decreases the modulus (the tape surface becomes softer) and the friction goes up. This appears to be partially due to an increase in effective surface area due to the softening of the binder. Normal practice is only a few percent surface area making real contact (at the peaks, or asperities). The lubricant loaded into the tape at manufacture is designed for the harder, lower contact area manifestation of the tape, not the degraded soft, rubbery, lower Tg manifestation that was not generally considered in the tape manufacture.

Cheers,

Richard

Quoting Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Guys, I think all of that type of black oxide / no-backcoat tape can
develope this problem but it doesn't seem to be a sure thing that the
problem will develop. I've had it in small does (ie clay-like residue
on the heads and guides, but not enough to hamper playback or cause
squealing --  more like "skid marks" on some surfaces sometimes) from
early 60's Scotch 202 also.

Question that comes to mind is, did the black oxide require a different
binder or could there be something different in the oxide mix that
reacts with "traditional" binder to cause this problem sometimes?

I, too, have used dozens of reels of 175 and not had problems.

And, adding yet another depressing layer to this whole thing, Scotch
206 and 208 are supposed to "never" develop sticky-shed. Well, I've had
one reel of each do it. Both were stored for long periods in damp
enough conditions that the boxes were moldy. It's only been those two
reels and otherwise, I have 30-year-old reels of Scotch 206 that still
play back at their original levels, making them as hearty as old
AudioTape.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>