Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape baking question

Hi, David,

I invented the cold-playing process--put the player in the fridge along with the tape...I presented that Sunday at the AES in San Francisco.

Tapes that do not respond to baking and still squeal such as Sony PR-150 and 3M 175 do respond to being played below their current glass transition temperature (Tg). The binder degradation has lowered the Tg to below room temperature.

Cold-desiccation, as I understand Peter's process, is different. I don't think he plays the tape cold.

It seems we're all incoherent. I'm in western Nebraska on my way back from SF. Tomorrow I pick up yet another tape recorder in Des Moines.

Cheers,

Richard

Quoting David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Lists wrote:

David:

I invented the cold-desiccation process and, while it is very helpful in many circumstances, it is time consuming and not, always, the best alternative. If you simply have "sticky-shed" (binder hydrolysis), it may not be necessary. If you have inter-wrap adhesion or binder-base adhesion problems, then it can be a necessity.

This is something I want to know about..it appears that non back-coated Shamrock
needs this process, which explains why some tapes I loaned the CBC a few years
ago didn't respond to baking.

Hey..Shamrock cost $1.29 for an 1800-foot reel in the seventies and we all
bought the stuff!

dl