Re: [ARSCLIST] Temperament--was: Are we at the end of the road musically??

Hello Bob

On 09/10/06, Bob Olhsson wrote:
> From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> The violinist Joachim, friend of Brahms, the Schumanns, Mendelssohn
>> and others, adjusted his intonation as he played to fit the harmony.
>> Any singer can do the same, if there is no keyboard accompaniment.
>
> EVERY musician has always adjusted their pitch to be in tune except
> for keyboards.

Well, they should do, but why then did people complain that Joachim
seemed out of tune? Perhaps he adjusted his pitch more than players do
nowadays.

Check his (5) recordings and see what you think.

> The best piano and organ tuners work with a "stretched"
> equal temprement that helps out the sound and errors on the side of
> sharp intervals rather than flat.

I'm not sure how you can do that so that it works for every key.

> Unfortunately most of what gets published and taught about this is far
> too oversimplified as is most of what's taught about time and rhythmic
> notation.

This is true of almost every topic there is.

Can you recommend any good sources of better information?

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx