Re: [ARSCLIST] unknown artists and archives

This is what I have found,when trying to unload large quantitites of records,including better jazz.As for what I collect,better quality rock/R&B/ska/calypso,and non-vocal classical,I am grateful,that this is stuff,there will always be a market for.I would suggest you make it known,to a friend.or relative,that you want the records to go to good homes,after you're gone.The best way to guarantee this,is to find someone willing to sell your collection,on eBay, which will probably be around after all of us are gone.
                                      Roger Kulp

Peter Hirsch <punto@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  As a comment to Steven:

I take the risk of being labeled a pedantic nitpicker, but I have to say
that your collection would absolutely be rejected by any self-respecting
archives since there is nothing archival about it (unless it is made up
or demos, one-offs of some sort or another), other than its
representation of the part of Stephen C. Barr's life spent amassing it.
It _WOULD_ most probably be most gladly accepted by some non-archive
repository (library or other entity dedicated to its format or genre).
It is not in any way a putdown when I say that archives are committed to
preserving unique, UNPUBLISHED (that is un-issued by recording company)
materials. I work for the same unit at NYPL that Matt does and we
routinely separate out (published) books, musical scores and recordings
that come in as part of archival collections and merge them into the
holdings of the library with a note in the guide to the collection
acknowledging their existence. Of course, if the item is annotated in
any significant way, that makes it unique and it is retained and
described in the guide.