Re: [ARSCLIST] unknown artists and archives

As a comment to Steven:

I take the risk of being labeled a pedantic nitpicker, but I have to say that your collection would absolutely be rejected by any self-respecting archives since there is nothing archival about it (unless it is made up or demos, one-offs of some sort or another), other than its representation of the part of Stephen C. Barr's life spent amassing it. It _WOULD_ most probably be most gladly accepted by some non-archive repository (library or other entity dedicated to its format or genre). It is not in any way a putdown when I say that archives are committed to preserving unique, UNPUBLISHED (that is un-issued by recording company) materials. I work for the same unit at NYPL that Matt does and we routinely separate out (published) books, musical scores and recordings that come in as part of archival collections and merge them into the holdings of the library with a note in the guide to the collection acknowledging their existence. Of course, if the item is annotated in any significant way, that makes it unique and it is retained and described in the guide.

I also take some exception to your characterization of archives as interested only in certified "high art". Matt has it exactly right, an archive has the right to set its scope of what it takes in, cares for, preserves and makes accessible. Some might want only mainstream DWEMs (OK, dead white European males, in case that is not entirely clear) in their stacks and that is their right, an obligation according to their mission statement. The cool thing, is that there is room for them and the archives that only are interested in decidedly alive non-white non-Euro individuals of whatever sexual orientation. If you venture into the forums that ARSC and the Music Library Association provide, online and face to face at conferences, I am sure you would find that there is a niche, and probably not all that obscure a one, that would be more than interested and dedicated to the preservation of anything you can name.

Peter Hirsch

steven c wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Snyder" <msnyder@xxxxxxxx>
I think its wrong to deduce, as Steve does below, that "archivists think
in
terms of what is already viewed as 'worthy'." Some things, such as E.J.
Bellocq's Storyville Portraits, we only know about at all, because the
archive (in this case, MoMA) took a chance on something that wouldn't
have
looked like it was worth preserving. Photographs of prostitutes, anyone?
David is basically correct, but I must add that the greatest tool an
archivist has in appraisal (an archivist's term; it's what we're talking
about here) is a MISSION STATEMENT. Meaning, your collection has a set of
collection criteria. You collect within a certain time frame, or national
origin, or cultural affiliation, or artistic movement, etc. The more
specific your collection criteria is the easier it is do decide what you
take and what you don't. Space, resources for processing, and other
factors also come in, of course, but the collecting criteria you set out
for yourself is in many ways the final arbiter of what comes in the front
door, because you don't take "everything you possibly can"; that' s
impossible.  You take what best fits your collecting policy. NYPL Music
Division concentrates on American music, a broad mandate, but then it's a
big institution with (comparatively) deep resources in terms of processing
capacity and storage.

This doesn't mean that agonizing decisions don't have to be made (fairly
often, in fact), but it is indeed a mistake to think that there is a
preconceived notion of what is "worthy" on an artistic basis. It has much
more to do with what is "worthy" according to your institution's mission.

Having started this thread, I should point out that what I meant by
"worthy" is the fact that "official" archivists...i.e. those often
employed by major libraries, particularly those related to "serious"
educational institutions, are generally more likely to preserve
(and/or WANT to preserve) sound recordings of classical artists
and material, along with those in "folk" genres ("folk" in the
ACTUAL, not record-store, sense of the description)...as opposed
to popular music (in particular music that lives up to the "popular"
description literally, which is often so omnipresent as to be
disregarded due to boredom if nothing else!).

My personal "archive" (of 78rpm records, mostly 1910-1950 or so)
represents a fair sampling of what was popular during that era...
mainly because record companies all issued their own versions
of popular songs until the late thirties. The concept of
different labels offering entirely different tunes by different
performers...the way the industry currently operates...seems
to have showed up once the "swing era" brought in a new,
younger demographic as record buyers, one which not only
wanted a given song, but a given performance of that song.
In 1928, one could choose between any number of versions of
a "hit" song...in fact, between vocal, dance-band, pipe-organ
or various other types of artists of the song if it became
popular enough. By 1958, the teenage record buyer wanted ONLY
the Elvis version of "Don't Be Cruel"...so, except for a
few anonymous-artist covers on bargain labels, that version
was the one stocked by record dealers!

However, I would imagine that most "serious" archives would
probably politely refuse my half-vast collection should I
offer it to them as a gift (and then probably share quite
a bit of laughter once I was out of earshot..."You wouldn't
BELIEVE the junk that crazy fellow wanted to give us...!"
Now, if I had a collection of field recordings of Slobbovian
peasants performing their ancestral tunes, accompanied on
the rare 13-string osklivost made from an actual tortoise
shell (with or without its original inhabitant...)...