Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi Don:

I don't know how many times I've said this, but I will one more. NICHE PLAYERS can and do keep going profitably. But they own a tiny percentage of the back catalog in this world. I'm guessing that Naxos sells fewer total copies in a year -- of all their products -- than one Billboard top-100 release. They are set up with a business model where small quantities work. It's been ever thus with small labels. But, again, as I said many times, most of the back catalog in this world is owned by 5 major mega-glomerates and small quantities fit their business model now less than ever.

-- Tom Fine

You may be correct about Naxos's sales, but that does not mean it's a niche label. It sells more classical recordings - its primary product - than any other publisher, including DG, BMG/Sony and EMI. To the extent that classical music is now a niche, then Naxos could be considered as such, but given the fractioning of the rest of the market, what field would not be a niche?

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/