Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

Right, again, niche players. Limited marketing budget, etc. Most of the world's back catalog of classical music is owned by Universal and BMG/Sony and EMI. I think if you took a census, they would own about 85-90% of total back catalog of recordings. The reasons why so much of it is out of print has been detailed ad nauseum by me and others.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

On 26/09/06, Tom Fine wrote:

Yes, the top-100 pop CD's will be the last out-riders to be pushed
into extinction, because it's a business model that works (500,000 to
1 million units definitely still works as a manufactured/warehoused
product, at $15 per at Wal-Mart). What doesn't work is most material
below the top-100.

It must work, or the classical labels wouldn't keep on pouring out new titles month after month.

I guess they mostly press a couple of thousand copies.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx