Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

On 26/09/06, Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 9/25/2006 8:28:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes: The CD...or, more likely, the DVD...is
> fairly sure to remain...at least until we are totally used to, and
> comfortable with, the concept of storing ALL our information on the
> hard drive(s) (or whatever may replace them) of our home computers.
> ****************
>
> Why save anything, when, for less than the cost of the storage space,
> you can download another copy or listen to it inline?

Because you don't trust a commercial company to save things for you?

Web sites and servers have a habit of vanishing.

> How much does it cost (or will in another decade) to store and access
> a high quality file of a song or symphony?
>
> If someone can make money selling access for a few cents a download,
> and establish a payment method, someone will.

Certainly. And I expect the free services from radio stations (such as
the BBC) will eventually improve their quality.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx