Re: [ARSCLIST] Reel-to-reel preservation supplies?

Actually I also use a hunk of paper towelling or, if I remember where I've stashed it, a "tape cleaning"
ribbon which looks like a roll of scotch tape but is actually some kind of thin cloth that the CBC's
tape reclaim department used when they were respooling tapes. A piece of that a couple of inches long
and folded over the tape as it runs through traps tons of crap and you can easily stop the forwarding to
change to a cleaner part of the ribbon.

As for tapes stored in plastic bags, I was advised years ago never to do this. I don't know if adding
the dissicant (sp?) would make a difference. I don't even like to use plastic as record sleeves (the
packaging we used to get on LPs before shrink wrap came along).

dl