To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 7:51 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Reel-to-reel preservation supplies?

Tom Fine wrote:

As for boxes, I have never seen damage to tapes from boxes, per se. BUT, I have noted that some old
kinds of boxes absorb and retain moisture and grow mold. So replacing boxes is good.

You haven't seen my moldy tape boxes..the tapes and reels therein definitely pick up mold when the boxes
take on moisture. Although the reels are easily cleaned. Anyone have a good method for "cleaning" tapes?
I just fast forward them through my fingers* (outside the head assembly)..same method I use for
determining whether a tape is going to be sticky.

* Okay, wise guy, BETWEEN my fingers.

dl