Re: [ARSCLIST] Reel-to-reel preservation supplies?

Eddie Ciletti of "If I'd Known You Were Coming, I'd Have Baked A Tape!" fame advises storing tapes that have been 'baked' for SSS in bags with dessicant. See: http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html (the dessicant part under "post restoration storage" about 2/3 of the way down). I've also seen it mentioned on several other sites, as well. Personally, I'd be kind of afraid of it, but it has been done . . .

-- Christie

Quoting Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Has anyone tried a plastic bag around the tape with a dissicant (sp?) packet in it? Is that a good idea or introducing more problems? I've considered that for my few really precious old reels.