Re: [ARSCLIST] Request for info: Columbia Studio/Warehouse Fire

On 25/09/06, Charles Lawson wrote:
> Bob Olhsson wrote:
>> I'm not sure you can jump to that conclusion. The Iron Mountain
>> problem happened in the mid '80s and affected everything.
>
> Well, I'm not really jumping to any conclusions. I am just going by
> what people are telling me now. I can't seem to locate anyone (yet)
> with actual direct knowledge of this area.
>
> In any case, there's a bunch of stuff missing from the back catalog
> that probably would have been re-released if it had been available
> when CBS/Sony/Whomever was mining the past for new profits. Some of
> these items had been comparatively big sellers back when and would
> have been logical to re-release, but there is obviously some
> reason--good or bad--that kept the powers-that-be from doing it. (They
> certainly released a lot of much more obscure material when CDs became
> all the rage...)
>
> In the meantime, for the people I am trying to help with this content,
> I shall just have to restore LPs for them, I suppose. That's more
> money for me, but I would rather get the absolute best quality
> available if at all possible. Theoretically, the master tapes would
> provide this but, as I am discovering as I do more of these projects,
> that is not necessarily a proper conclusion to draw.

Columbia LPs were pretty bad in the 60s. The reviewers constantly
complained of poor sound, and that was my experience too.

I don't think the problems are in the master tapes, so it would be worth
while to search as much as practicable.

It would be nice to have some E Power Biggs reissues for example. Very
little has appeared.

Regards
--
Don Cox