Re: [ARSCLIST] Request for info: Columbia Studio/Warehouse Fire

Bob Olhsson wrote:
>I'm not sure you can jump to that conclusion. The Iron Mountain problem
>happened in the mid '80s and affected everything.

Well, I'm not really jumping to any conclusions.  I am just going by what
people are telling me now.  I can't seem to locate anyone (yet) with
actual direct knowledge of this area.

In any case, there's a bunch of stuff missing from the back catalog that
probably would have been re-released if it had been available when
CBS/Sony/Whomever was mining the past for new profits.  Some of these
items had been comparatively big sellers back when and would have been
logical to re-release, but there is obviously some reason--good or
bad--that kept the powers-that-be from doing it.  (They certainly released
a lot of much more obscure material when CDs became all the rage...)

In the meantime, for the people I am trying to help with this content, I
shall just have to restore LPs for them, I suppose.  That's more money for
me, but I would rather get the absolute best quality available if at all
possible.  Theoretically, the master tapes would provide this but, as I am
discovering as I do more of these projects, that is not necessarily a
proper conclusion to draw.

Thanks, again, to all for the follow-ups.  Any further information would
be gratefully received...

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet