Re: [ARSCLIST] On the beaten 8-track...

Someone made a comment about the 8-track reversing, if I read it right, and I wanted to emphasize that the 8-track (as well as the NAB and the consumer 4-track modeled after the NAB cart) were continuous loop devices and while they had a splice, they would run continuously (hence Steven Barr's comment).

These could not reverse without serious damage to the tape.

The head did indeed step down in four steps, counting top and bottom and then would (hopefully) pop up to the top again. Each time it pulsed, usually a ratchet and/or cam was activated by a solenoid. It was during the movement and because of the presence of conductive foil OVER the oxide that there was a dropout in the sound as the tracks switched.

Dolby B was introduced in this format at some point. I have a quad Dolby B classical recording in this format, still sealed.

Anyway, I did forget to point you to my generic 1/4-inch tape cartridge page that attempts to explain the differences among all the known cartridge (and cassette) formats using 1/4" analog audio tape.

http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/025-cartridges/

I have a similar page for most 0.150" formats.

http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/015-cassettes/

Cheers,

Richard