Re: [ARSCLIST] On the beaten 8-track...

There seems a market for 8 tracks wherever 1970s pick-up trucks are being restored.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Bamberger" <rbamberger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] On the beaten 8-track...

Many thanks for the responses.  I should have done a little more due
diligence on the question of 8-track home recorders (such as they were).
I must have seen some of those at the time, but my memory was wiped of
it when, at the age of 15, I bought a TEAC A-1200 with money saved from
my net $9.63 earned weekly on Saturdays working as a gift wrapper and
stock boy.

I had forgotten about the tracks interrupted mid-stream with 8-track.
It reminds me of the letter I got from a listener back in the 1980s who
asked me to time the music sets and presentation on my program so that
he could flip his C-90 over while I was talking.

One clarification: I suggested, but didn't mean to, that the cassette
was "dead" in every respect. Unquestionably, there's a population
out there buying blanks, especially among the more senior demographic.
I had automobiles in mind, which are no longer outfitted with cassettes
by manufacturers, and record producers appear to have retired the
pre-recorded cassette as a consumer format. Tom Fine sums up these
points well.

Thanks to all.

Rob

P.S. I checked out the websites noted by Jeffrey and Karl. The visit to the jackbergsales site has me still reeling. I may have to go out at lunch and get a stiff drink.

lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 09/26/06 8:34 AM >>>