Re: [ARSCLIST] "All hail the analogue revolution..." (II)

I tend to feel that the "superiority" of analog sound is probably
based on pre-conceived assumptions...based, at least in part, on
the actual difference between the sonic output of "analog" (read
"vacuum-tube") amplifiers to their "digital" solid-state kin.

The tube vs. solid-state debate applies mainly to amplifiers which
are driven into distortion...transistors tend to "cut off" abruptly,
producing square-like waveforms, while tubes gradually lose their
effiency at amplification, producing more rounded (but still distorted)
waveforms. I discovered this while using deliberate overdriven
distortion to try and recreate the harmonica sound heard on classic-era
blues recordings, btw.

Since very few (if any) home audio systems use laboratory-standard
distortion-free amplification, tube systems provide a more pleasant
sound than do solid-state ones. As far as CD's, I would guess the
problem there lies with the engineers who do the (re)mastering,
who are used to a certain "CD sound" aimed at the buyers of pop-
music discs...?!