Re: [ARSCLIST] "All hail the analogue revolution..."

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> It depends.Let me start with the disclaimer,that classical,rock,and older
R&B,are the bulk of my listening diet.I find most commercial classical
recordings made after 1978,or so to be completely unlistenable,both in terms
of sound,and performance.As for rock,there are select people,who know how to
make good-sounding records in a digital age.Topping this list,would be
Blur,and some of R.E.M's stuff."Reveal",and "Up",being outstanding
examples,yet others like "New Adventures In HiFi" sound terrible.In spite of
the fact,it has two of thier greatest songs.Jeff Lynne's productions,are
very good,"Cloud Nine",and the first Wilburys are a joy to listen to.As is
"Think Visual',the first Kinks record to emply digital recording.Digital
vinyl,in short,is a mixed bag,as any serious listener will tell you.

Given these comments, I would guess that your actual complaint is NOT
from the format of the issued recordings of the XXI Jahrhundert...but,
rather, with the engineering and, in some cases, the production of
those recordings!

Consider that virtually all recordings made before the mid-sixties
were recorded onto single (or double for stereo) track tape...and
records of the forties and earlier were recorded to either "lacquers"
or to the master discs (generally wax). If electric, they often used
a single microphone. Recordings of the present day...analog, digital
or whatever...are deftly constructed by mixing together anything
from thirty-two to a gazillion separate tracks...and assembled into
whatever form the engineer will be a saleable final product.
Obviously, any resemblance between the final product and the
original performance is unintended and purely coincidental!

The fact that you (or any listener with any degree of musical taste)
fail to appreciate these carefully-overengineered products simply
reflects the vast gulf between your your taste and that of the
theoretical "ideal customer" at whom the result is aimed (and
much effort and money has gone into establishing the supposed
tastes of these mythical customers!).

Now, Joe Gabroni (our typical "mythical customer") has just spent
the majority of his last paycheque upgrading the speakers in his
"tuned" Honda Civic. When he buys a CD, he wants enough bass to
show off his new expenditure (even with the windows rolled up)!
Since there are more of his sort than there are discerning music
listeners, the CD's are more likely to reflect his desires.

Money talks! (But, as my thus-titled song goes, "It ain't on
speakin' terms with me...").