To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "All hail the analogue revolution..."

On 20/09/06, Tom Fine wrote:

Final vinyl word. I find the sound most pleasing of tunes I've
transferred from LP and then ripped to MP3. It might be that in many
cases the original vinyl mastering engineer made better choices than
the CD remaster engineer did, but the iPod puts out some pleasing
grooves for my ears. And no, I don't like ticks and pops and yes I
remove the bad ones and don't bother with badly damaged records.

I find the opposite. Reissue CDs that have been made fom vinyl sound "cheap" to me, compared to those made from the original studio master tapes.

They include the distortions and resonances of the disc cutter (which
could be pretty bad in the 1950s), the groove damage from being played over
the years, and the distortion and resonances of the pickup.

Better than nothing, but I prefer to get closer to the original evidence of how
the air vibrated in that studio.

I was listening to a CD of Jo Stafford yesterday, made from 1955 vinyl.
The voice is OK, but the backing orchestra is almost unbearably bad in
sound. I don't believe the master tape can have been like that. Even the
most cloth-eared producer would not have passed it.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx