Re: [ARSCLIST] ARSCLIST guidelines

I thought this site was also to announce where records can be found for sale but not to list them.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sam Brylawski" <goodlistening@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 6:04 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] ARSCLIST guidelines

I'd like to resubmit a posting I made last October about the purpose
of this list, along with a reminder that its contents are archived for
posterity. IMO, retrieving information from the Web is hard enough
without having to wade through jokes and irrelevant comments.

There is little need to single out particular individuals in this
regard. Everyone should please keep in mind the purposes of the
ARSClist and assure that submissions are appropriate to a professional
listserv. I know *many* people who gave up on 78-L. Please, let's not
lose them from this list due to useless posts. There have been some
particularly valuable threads the past two weeks. I was pleased to add
some contributions by Eric Jacobs and Richard Hess to my "permanant"
archives. Thanks to you all.

From October, 2005:

This is a good time to review the purposes of ARSCLIST and re-post the
guidelines. The Board of ARSC met last Saturday and there was some
discussion about this list and the amount of "noise" on it. We risk
losing valuable subscribers if the list becomes cluttered with
off-topic, irrelevant, or otherwise inappropriate posts.

It is ARSC's intention that ARSClist be a forum for "professional"
discussions about recorded sound and that it be open to anyone. The
number of subscribers is increasing, fortunately, but that means that
we need to be especially careful about extraneous posts to the list.
In this category, I would include jokes, politics, non-substantive
only one or two people on the list.

Some excerpts from the guidelines posted at arsc-audio.org follow.

Thanks to all of you. Sam Brylawski

The Purpose of the List
Topics appropriate for discussion may include discussion about
recorded sound research, history, innovations, preservation,
archiving, copyrights and access and announcements about ARSC
activities and publications. Other lists may be more appropriate
forums for subjective discussions of particular recordings or artists,
restoration of antique equipment, buying and selling recordings and
the collecting of ephemera. All messages posted to the list will be
archived permanently. By posting to this list the subscriber agrees to
have his or her message become part of the permanent public archive.

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.12.4/448 - Release Date: 9/14/2006