Re: [ARSCLIST] ET groove cutting ( was "More about ET preservation", was "Comparable collections anywhere?")

Scott D. Smith wrote:

All very good questions! I'm sure Graham will jump in here with some well-informed answers as well, which I would love to hear about.

Eric Jacobs wrote:

I stare at ET grooves all day it seems through a microscope, and I've
noticed that some of the groove bottoms are sometimes not as smooth as
others - there will be parallel striations, or in some cases the walls
look smooth but the bottom is very rough, almost jagged.

You must separate a pressing

from a lacquer (also referred to as a soft-cut, instantaneous cut, or incorrectly as an "acetate"... there is NO acetate in them, but that is a whole 'nother story.)

A pressing can exhibit a wide range of peculiar looking grooves from mishandling in the processing and pressing... buffing of the stamper being a major contributor to the bottom of the groove looking strange!

In the case of lacquers, remember that before the introduction of magnetic tape, the only way to record (other than wire which had its own set of problems) was on a lacquer disc. There were countless different home recorders
and the quality levels varied all over the map. The lacquer discs for home use were often rejects from what a professional user (broadcaster or recording studio) would find acceptable to use.

The BIGGEST problem was that most people trying to cut a disc NEVER read the "how to " manual and didn't have the foggiest idea of how to do it right.
They cut using chipped styli, worn styli and styli that had cut so deeply that it hit the disc's base material, usually aluminum. Worse, they often had the cutting head and stylus mis-aligned to the surface of the disc. The resultant grooves bore the scars of the mistreatment and that consequently, is what you often see when looking at a groove under a microscope.

Additions to these problems were caused by people who never changed a worn stylus on their playback equipment and added scoring to the grooves. This is why you often can play only one groove wall (stereo cartridge and stylus, of course) and get a much more quiet result than playing the mono sum of both.

In the above, I am referring to mono discs, where stereo presents its own set of peculiar problems.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's new CAMBRIDGE processes.