Re: [ARSCLIST] ET groove cutting ( was "More about ET preservation", was "Comparable collections anywhere?")

Eric,

All very good questions! I'm sure Graham will jump in here with some well-informed answers as well, which I would love to hear about. While I have never cut 16" transcriptions, here's what I can tell you from my experience cutting LP's and 45 RPM discs back in the day:

1. The condition of the cutting styli does indeed play a big role in the quality of the groove. This is especially the case if the is any debris stuck to the cutting edge of the styli (which was not uncommon). Some styli were slighty better polished than others as well.

2. The geometry of the styli also plays a big role. It was my experience that some styli could cause a slight "chatter" or squeal during cutting on some acetate blanks. This would subsequently manifest itself in the groove wall, where you could hear a very slight "squeal" on reproduction, depending on what part of the groove wall the playback stylus rode on (with the upper part of the wall usually being the problem area). The alignment of the styli and the cutting head temperature also were a big factor in this. It was my experience that slight changes in the acetate formulation of the blanks were also a factor (even from the same manufacturer).

3. The proper setting of the proper groove depth was also very critical, as too deep a cut could cause problems with the "chip" not being properly shed off from the edge of the styli, which was also the major factor that could cause the slight "squeal" alluded to above.

All in all, not a task for the faint-of-heart, even with a modern Neumann VMS lathe with computurized control and a preview head. While it was interesting, I'm glad to not have to deal with it any longer on a regular basis. One bad acetate, a problem with the chip running afoul of the styli, an amplifier noise, etc. and an hour of your time is wasted in a flash. If you weren't lucky enough to have a computerized lathe, your chances of ending up with a bad master were increased by a huge factor.

Of course, if you had everything working in your favor, an all the planets were aligned right, the resulting quality could at times be quite stunning. More often than not, however, the poor QC on commercial pressings pretty much guaranteed a mediocre finished product. Maybe the guy in plating went on a bender the night before, maybe the hole gets punched slightly off-center, the acetate gets damaged on the way to the plant, the list goes on. (I am, of course, not including audiophile discs done by Sheffield, Mobile Fidelity and others,which showed off what the medium was truly capable of).

Graham may have fonder memories.....me, I'm happy to see 'em go.

Scott D. Smith

Eric Jacobs wrote:

Hi Graham,

Thanks so much for the kind words.

I stare at ET grooves all day it seems through a microscope, and I've
noticed that some of the groove bottoms are sometimes not as smooth as
others - there will be parallel striations, or in some cases the walls
look smooth but the bottom is very rough, almost jagged.  At first I
thought perhaps this was groove wear, but the more I think about it and
see actual groove wear, I now think it's a poorly cut groove, like the
cutter wasn't hot enough or was cutting too deep or was perhaps dull or
mis-shapen or at the wrong angle...  I can look at and measure a groove
now and pretty much know in advance how much noise I can expect from
each stylus.  It would be nice to better understand WHY the grooves look
the way they do.

Since you've actually cut discs (wow, that is SO cool), can you shed
some insight into what phenomenon I might be seeing?  I'd like to be
able to classify groove condition more accurately in the technical
metadata, including poorly cut grooves (if that is indeed the case).

Eric Jacobs
Principal

The Audio Archive
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message----- From: Graham Newton [mailto:gn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:13 AM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx Cc: ericj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] More about ET preservation (was "Comparable collections anywhere?")

Eric Jacobs wrote:

There are three things that affect the condition of ETs:

<HUGE snip!>

Eric has written a very good outline of the problems and considerations
needed
when handling and transferring lacquer coated discs in general and of any
size,
not just "ET's" (Electrical Transcriptions).

For those of us who lived the era of their use, most of the problems were
obvious, but none of us expected the deterioration and decomposition that is
being encountered today.

I actually cut 16" lacquers, as well as thousands of LP masters while I
worked
for RCA Victor in the early 1960's... a long time ago in a galaxy far, far
away, and yes, it was a great adventure!

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's new CAMBRIDGE processes.