Re: [ARSCLIST] lacquer discs was [ARSCLIST] Comparable collections anywhere?

While they don't sound the best,many of those "Hit of The Week" paper records are still playable.
                          Roger

David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   Someone mentioned paper based discs as being the worst survivors..this probably depends on storage conditions and moisture or dryness. I've had some sixteen-inch paper based discs from 1940 that have survived beautifully, show no lacquer deterioration or tendency towards palmitic acid, and have a warmer sound than aluminum or glass discs from the same period..no idea why this should be. Presto "orange label" discs
for home use tend to disintegrate faster than many others, in my experience. Audiodisc "Reference" (white label) discs seem to hold up very nicely while Soundcraft is referred to by most of us who deal with them as "Soundcrap" (palmitic acid, peeling, you name it). And most of the thin discs made for home recorders are horrors we'd just as soon avoid dealing with (peeling, flaking, warping, cuts that go down to
the aluminum, not to mention the gawdawful stuff recorded on most of them).

dl