Re: [ARSCLIST] ^ Letter on British Copyright Term Extension

Karl Miller wrote:
>Karl (who puts a clause in each of his contracts which has the full rights
>revert to the artist should their product not be made available by my
>label)

This along with a lease of rights has been common practice since the '50s unless the label has advanced hundreds of thousands of dollars to the artist. Recordings are also not allowed to be works for hire.

I happen to think there should be no limit on copyright. Limits only reduce the value and with that the amount an artist can get paid in the event they decide to sell their copyright. This issue isn't about earning money after they're dead. It's about paying them generously while they're alive and, far more important, creating an incentive beyond mere ego gratification to create new music.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com