Re: [ARSCLIST] Non-RIAA preamp

Hi George,

I was hoping you'd chime in!

Thanks for the language and conceptual precision.  See my further questions
below...

On September 13, 2006 George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> ----- the compression you perceive is probably due to the fact that when
> reproducing at half speed, you still use a corner frequency at the
> frequencies mentioned rather than 150 Hz or 125 Hz. Or that is what you
will
> eventually have to do, if you have used the electromagnetic pickup with
its
> constant-velocity characteristic without any de-emphasis.

When doing half-speed transfers I do these sans EQ (ie. FLAT).  Re-pitch
(double the speed in the DAW).  And then apply EQ as the very last step.

Time to do some listening tests.  I haven't half-speed transferred anything
in long while, but noticed the compression when doing this on a client's
system.  Perhaps their system response was not as linear as it needed to
be for the initial flat transfer.

However, I'm still a bit confused.  Again, assuming a flat transfer...
At half-speed (transfer), wouldn't the dynamic range (the difference
between the loudest and the quietest sounds be halved as well?  And if so,
repitching will not affect the dynamic range, only the frequencies, right?

Eric Jacobs
Principal

The Audio Archive
tel: 408.221.2128