Re: [ARSCLIST] Non-RIAA preamp

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hi Jacob and others who reproduce mechanical recordings,

Jacob wrote:

> The amplitude (loudness) of a frequency is not a function of the
> amplitude of the groove, but rather the lateral speed of the
> stylus.

----- please use 'velocity' in this case, in which it is directed at right
angles to the tangent to the groove. This makes it more efficient when we
also want to talk about the speed of the carrier below the needle (the
'linear' speed, although it varies 2:1 from outside-in). The relationship you
refer to is only correct above the corner frequency of the pre/de-emphasis
curve - this is where constant-velocity recording is aimed at. Constant-
velocity refers to the fact that the groove has the same angle to the
baseline (non-modulated groove) at a zero crossing (sinusoidal signal) when
the signal has a particular value, irrespective of the frequency. However,
this means that the amplitude of the signal will fall proportionally to the
frequency while maintaining the value.

 The cartridge with its coil and magnet are effectively
> a "generator" - the faster the lateral movement, the more output
> the cartridge generates at any given frequency.

----- what you can say is that it has a sensitivity that is proportional to
frequency, or you could say that it differentiates the curveshape it traces.
It is hence a velocity detector suitable for a constant-velocity recording.

When you reduce
> the lateral speed, you reduce the total dynamic range - the
> difference between the softest and loudest sounds.

----- now, when the linear speed of the carrier is halved, then all
velocities are halved. So if we remain in the constant-velocity domain, there
is absolutely no change in dynamics.

> When you half-speed transfer (not master), you reduce the output
> in a way that compresses the relative amplitudes, reducing the
> dynamic range.  Increasing the gain after adjusting pitch does
> nothing to the dynamic range and simply offsets the compressed
> signal.

----- the problem is that recording by the constant-velocity method, you
cannot go down too far in frequency, because the amplitude increases when you
go down in frequency, and it cannot increase to the degree that it begins to
cut into the neighbouring turns of the groove. So, from a given corner
frequency, the amplitude at recording is reduced inversely proportional to
the frequency, an we obtain in effect a constant-amplitude recording below
this corner frequency. The network used in the cutting amplifier is a simple
first order network - a CR circuit (it is also of the type called "minimum
phase", so it can be perfectly counteracted by an RC circuit). The corner
frequency has moved around a bit, but 300 Hz or 250 Hz would be typical.

----- the compression you perceive is probably due to the fact that when
reproducing at half speed, you still use a corner frequency at the
frequencies mentioned rather than 150 Hz or 125 Hz. Or that is what you will
eventually have to do, if you have used the electromagnetic pickup with its
constant-velocity characteristic without any de-emphasis.

> The compressed signal is why it sounds "flat".  So some sort of
> expansion is required.
>
> Half-speed mastering on the other hand takes this compression
> into account, and they adjust the groove excursion accordingly
> so that the dynamic range is correct when played back at full
> speed.

----- precisely, they use CR circuit adjusted for 150 Hz or 125 Hz at
recording, which then becomes correct with the electromagnetic pickup and the
RIAA EQ. Actually it is only the lower part of RIAA, there is further
manipulation at the high frequency end, but that need not bother us here,
only we should remember that any half speed work needs filtering at half the
frequency.

> Perhaps the analogy is that half-speed transfers increase your
> sample rate density, but reduce your bit depth.

----- No, I use half-speed transfer for its better ability to follow
transients, not the least the grit particles in shellac records, which behave
like recorded velocities at for instance 100 cm/s. This means that the stylus
does not have to be accelerated so much (acceleration increases proportional
to the square of the frequency, and is really the cause of wear), and you do
not excite spurious resonances in your cartridge so much.

----- finally, the groove shape is there, physically present in the surface
of the disc. You can extract the information any way you want, and then
manipulate the information by filtering, but obviously the filtering must
have relevance for the frequency range you are treating

Kind regards,

George