Re: [ARSCLIST] Non-RIAA preamp

Hi Pillip,

The amplitude (loudness) of a frequency is not a function of the
amplitude of the groove, but rather the lateral speed of the
stylus.  The cartridge with its coil and magnet are effectively
a "generator" - the faster the lateral movement, the more output
the cartridge generates at any given frequency.  When you reduce
the lateral speed, you reduce the total dynamic range - the
difference between the softest and loudest sounds.

When you half-speed transfer (not master), you reduce the output
in a way that compresses the relative amplitudes, reducing the
dynamic range.  Increasing the gain after adjusting pitch does
nothing to the dynamic range and simply offsets the compressed
signal.

The compressed signal is why it sounds "flat".  So some sort of
expansion is required.

Half-speed mastering on the other hand takes this compression
into account, and they adjust the groove excursion accordingly
so that the dynamic range is correct when played back at full
speed.

Perhaps the analogy is that half-speed transfers increase your
sample rate density, but reduce your bit depth.

Hope that explanation (and distinction between half-speed
masters and half-speed transfers) makes some sense.

Eric Jacobs
Principal

The Audio Archive
tel: 408.221.2128