Re: [ARSCLIST] Underscore in file names

Hi

I know of a good reason to eliminate spaces & other odd characters and it has to do with how various OSes and programs handle them. Although this is improving, there are still many instances when a space, or other characters will create problems. I know of situations having to do with our online audio archive where the software behind the online database and streaming will behave strangely. Sometimes it acts as if the file does not exist or it gets confused in other ways. The result from a user's perspective is that a track will not play or a scan will not be properly displayed. As a result, I have instituted a simple rule and wrote utility programs to enforce them:

A file name can ONLY contain characters (upper & lower case are allowed), numbers and underscores. Anything else (apostrophes, colons, semicolons, spaces etc.) gets replaced by an underscore.

This policy has eliminated all the problems we were having early on with streaming files & other html/php/FileMaker weird behavior.

All the best

Alex Hartov