To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 10:13 AM 9/2/2006, Mike Csontos Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:
>To me, the long term archiving by digitization of books is just as
>questionable as it is for images and audio.
Mike,

What would you propose as the alternative?
I think you'll agree that regular cloning of analog tapes will degrade
quality.

I would like to suggest that the effective life of an analog tape is, with luck, on average 50 years, although it seems the _design_ life (of at least some brands) might have been less.

Digital is the best shot we have to capture recordings before they
deteriorate (further) and then be able to rejuvenate them over time
to keep them safe.

I don't see shellac, vinyl, nor analog tape being a viable method of
maintaining the high quality of original recordings made from c. 1954
until the present.

Actually, I have a handful of Philips cassettes which are approaching
forty years of age, and still play (well, as well as they ever did)...
do I expect these to suddenly burst into flame, explode, dissolve
or otherwise go see Jesus around the fall of 2018?

As well, I have shellac discs which are now over a century old...and
don't appear to have suffered ill effects from age (wish I could say
the same thing about myself!).

So it looks like our best approach may be to recreate (possibly in
an improved form, by using a much more finely-ground "filler" in
the mix?) shellac-moulding technology...?!