Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

At 10:13 AM 9/2/2006, Mike Csontos Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:

To me, the long term archiving by digitization of books is just as
questionable as it is for images and audio.

Mike,

What would you propose as the alternative?

I think you'll agree that regular cloning of analog tapes will degrade quality.

I would like to suggest that the effective life of an analog tape is, with luck, on average 50 years, although it seems the _design_ life (of at least some brands) might have been less.

Digital is the best shot we have to capture recordings before they deteriorate (further) and then be able to rejuvenate them over time to keep them safe.

I don't see shellac, vinyl, nor analog tape being a viable method of maintaining the high quality of original recordings made from c. 1954 until the present.

Cheers,

Richard