To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:41 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Not using headphones

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
The reason I thought it might be that is that two guys at a time would be
in close, on opposite
sides of the mic, like radio duos used to do with an RCA ribbon mic in
figure-8 pattern. It might
have been omni and they were taking advantage of the two middle points,
with the softer sounds
spaced in the circle. Anyway, these guys were great at it.

Another bunch that could work a mic (note: A mic, as in single mic) were
the Jordanaires.

Bob, how did the Motown groups record the group harmonies -- one mic or
several? I'm guessing one
mic and no headphones in the early days. And, was the lead singer part of
the overall group or did
they have a separate mic? Same room or booth or separate? I've always
loved the way the vocals cut
through everything on those records, especially Diana Ross and Martha and
the Vandellas.

My "lifelong ambition" is to record a blues album/CD the way (I assume)
the classic blues recordings of the forties/fifties were done...using
a single microphone (or possibly two, with one for harmonica and vocal?).
In my opinion, the multi-isolated-mikes approach is totally wrong
for blues bands...!