Re: [ARSCLIST] Not using headphones

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The reason I thought it might be that is that two guys at a time would be
in close, on opposite
> sides of the mic, like radio duos used to do with an RCA ribbon mic in
figure-8 pattern. It might
> have been omni and they were taking advantage of the two middle points,
with the softer sounds
> spaced in the circle. Anyway, these guys were great at it.
>
> Another bunch that could work a mic (note: A mic, as in single mic) were
the Jordanaires.

> Bob, how did the Motown groups record the group harmonies -- one mic or
several? I'm guessing one
> mic and no headphones in the early days. And, was the lead singer part of
the overall group or did
> they have a separate mic? Same room or booth or separate? I've always
loved the way the vocals cut
> through everything on those records, especially Diana Ross and Martha and
the Vandellas.

My "lifelong ambition" is to record a blues album/CD the way (I assume)
the classic blues recordings of the forties/fifties were done...using
a single microphone (or possibly two, with one for harmonica and vocal?).
In my opinion, the multi-isolated-mikes approach is totally wrong
for blues bands...!